Hi,

Jostein wrote:

IIRC, the only organisms that still contain serious amounts of
radiation are fungi. Both because they are decomposers and because
they are long-lived. Some species grow more than 30 years old.

I'm not sure if moving the animals to different pastures for a few
weeks would help, though. It's not just the gut that needs to be
flushed out, as the testing is based on fat or muscle tissue.

Not sure of the quantities any more but the sheep were picking up isotopes from the grass surfaces. They were definitely taken to the Oxford area for a few weeks and levels fell enough for them then to be marketed. It was definitely still happening 6 years after the incident, as I was doing some survey work in the Lake District and helped the shepherd get the stock into the wagon. You might be able to find articles in back issues of New Scientist.