-----Original Message-----
From: Kostas Kavoussanakis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 9:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: istDs - what a great camera!

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> Kostas,
>
> What exactly in my emails is inaccurate?

Please read on.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> They have never done anything like this before so the sky is the limit

> for them now.....

Why are you complaining now? They have been at it since the MZ-50. The
MZ-30 was a step back, but The People found a way to use pre-A lenses
(with limitations). When they produced the MZ-60 they made things even
worse (no pre-F lenses usable). They did this so well that I had not
seen a single mention of that in the list until last week. I downloaded
the manual from pentaxusa last week and could not believe my eyes.
Perhaps I should read it again.

88888888888888888888888888
Big difference the MZ-50 was a chaep bottom line model, there were
better models
with full K/M support to choose from if desired. There is only one DSLR
at the
moment an it aint cheap and there isnt a more expensive model to choose
from
to get get the K/M full support.

8888888888888888888888888

By the way, if Pentax thought I would buy new lenses to go with the -50,
try again. I bought another body. Only no decent mid-range body was
available new, so I bought used. 2 years on, I have 20-odd lenses, 3 of
which are AF; I have even sold the FA28-80 that came with the -50.

> They were ONCE one of the best brands
> for compatibility of new products and support of older ones in the
> process ( A, and F lenses for example).

They still are. Look at the new macro lenses and the fact that (like it
or not) K and M lenses can be used in some sort of aperture priority
straightforwardly. I understand what you are saying, but your point is
too fine for me (and I use Av extensively). As far as I am concerned, I
can use put the camera in a mode where *I* decide about the aperture and
*the camera* decides about the shutter speed. Sure, if I forget to flick
the green button there will be a problem (if the light has changed). I
take Paul's opinion that it's so easy that one gets to do it more often
than necessary; I do that with the -5n's DOF-preview all the time, it's
a mannerism.

I am not too sure about the situation with the Ds, but I will wait and
see.
888888888888888888888888888888888888
I totally disagree. This is the VERY FIRST TIME they have not had full
compatability
of K/M lenses on a K mount top line body. green button does not equal
true AE.
True AE and open aperture metering are impossible on the *istD because
it
simply IGNORES the K/M apeture setting cam. It didn't have too either.

888888888888888888888888888888888888

> I don't think there is any signifigant cost savings in K/M ignorance,
> that's why the camera is still relatively expensive compared to their
> rivals.

The reason why the camera is expensive is to do with the fact that
Pentax cannot afford to sell is as a loss leader. It's a matter of
magnitude.

Finally, you have convinced me that there is no financial issue as much
as others have convinced me that there is: not at all. My data
(MZ-shambles) imply that Pentax are shafting us on purpose, but the fact
that we are on the same side of the fence is coincidence.

If you have the money and the urge to go digital, seek a shop that will
let you play with it or ask for a volunteer in the list to spend an
afternoon with you and his *ist-D. I am convinced that if you see past
purism, and if you consider your options, you will like the camera.

However, just like you, I would like Pentax to come up with a
replacement to the *ist-D featuring the bloody lever. Sure, people will
come up with "dream on" statements, I don't care. If they want to phase
them out, let them support the dual interface of the Z1-p, sell crappy
lenses without the ring and good ones with it, and let nature take its
course.

Oh, and no more 60mm equiv crap please, if there was a point in this
focal length, Pentax would have one in their line already. It's not like
we are swamped with available lenses or anything.

Kostas