From: Gonz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 12:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: istDs - what a great camera!

J. C. O'Connell wrote:

With the ist D mode you need to re-meter every time you change the aperure setting not only to shoot but to even see what the shutter speed is going to be. NOT AS GOOD as if they had K/M sensing.

I think it is possible. For a particular scene if you have an EV reading X1 at an unknown aperture when pressing the green button, and an

EV reading X2 wide open, then if you change scenes, you can estimate the

new speed needed to properly expose the pic by taking the new wide open reading of X3 and assuming that the same relationship holds between X1-X2 as it does between X3-X4, where X4 would be the EV at the same aperture you had before. While you dont know the actual aperture, you at least know it relative to the wide open aperture. They could do this

in the firmware and have a true AE (Av) mode if they wanted to with K/M lenses. The only time you would have to press the green button again is

if you manually changed the aperture again.

rg