Martin wrote:

MT> I just had a look at the Konica Maxxum 7D / Minolta Dynax 7D.
MT> I'd wish Pentax would provide some kind of image stabilisation as these
MT> models do.

  Hoepfully you are young enough to see your wish come true. ;o)

MT> But how does it actually work?

MT> - how many millimeters is the sensor shifted for stabilisation?

  Anyway not more than 4 mm vertically (the gaps to full frame). And
  because of the sensor having to cover more than the APS image
  circle, I expect this IS breed won't work with full frame sensors.

MT> - what's the typical mass of a sensor and the acceleration values
MT>   of this stablilisation (e.g. compared to the stabilisation
MT>   within the lens)

  No idea, but shaking the sensor certainly poses more problems of
  reliability, correct registration, etc.

MT> - how does it operate when you are already 'at the edge'?
MT>   Does it fail to work or is it always operation on a virtually
MT>   centered object?
MT> are all those systems working reasonably well, claming about 2-3 aperture
MT> values gain?

  It depends on the focal length, but most A1/A2 owners agree on 2
  stops gain.

MT> How much is the current price of this function - and is it something that
MT> can be expected for every future camera to come after e.g. the two next
MT> years?

  If successful, every APS midrange camera but Pentax. We will wait
  patiently until technology "matures". :oT

  Servus,  Alin