On 23 Sep 2004 at 20:39, Graywolf wrote:

> Now, Rob, think about what you just said.

I did, I did, I just didn't lay out all my reasoning.

> No one has claimed that Pentax is going to retrofit IS to the *istD. If
> they build a camera with IS in the body they can well choose a sensor
> that can do that. Remember the rumor I reported here that Pentax is
> working on designing and producing their own sensors.

Firstly I wasn't alluding to a retro-fit just pointing to the technologies
currently chosen. Currently high res high quality sensors tend to be
mechanically shuttered slow full frame reading (1-10fps) sensors not fast
interline (15-30fps+) sensors.

The CCD in the *ist D can manage 3fps (but it's not quite that fast in
practical terms in the *ist D implementation), this is also apparently the
sensor adopted for use in the recently announced Minolta DSLR in which it
appear they have successfully implemented anti-shake technology. I would be
keen to see a cross section of the camera or a little more discussion to find
out how they derive the corrective signal and how it is applied for that
matter. A hint might be if the anti-shake is linked to focus point etc?

As you know I'm a little sceptical of Pentax becoming involved in sensor
production, they just aren't big or experienced enough to do it (for much the
same reason Ferrari don't make their own F1 tires :-). In any case even if
Pentax did start making their own sensors they would likely be polishing older
designs not doing ground breaking research and dev (LOL), so magic new sensors
from Pentax aren't likely IMHO :-)

> Of course that is one of the advantages to IS in the lens, it works with
> older cameras. It is apparently also far more precise, going by those
> video cameras again.

Optical IS is a reality and is relatively easy to implement but I'm still not
sure how real time electronic stabilization could be implemented for still
cameras. Electronic video stabilization really can't be compared to still
camera stabilization, the techniques and requirements are totally different.
Video stabilization only has to be done at an interframe level not per frame
unlike still shots.

Did I do OK?

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998