I agree with that.  Before my 67 gear, I had an FA 100/2.8 Macro - very
nice lens.

At the point of getting my *istD, and needing a macro lens, I chose
the Tamron 90/2.8 AF lens.  Apart from being a bit lighter, it is
better balanced than the FA, and the manual focus feel (very important
to me) is wonderful.  It is a clutch style system, much like the FA*
lenses and has a focus feel more like them.  As far as image quality
vs the FA 100/2.8 macro, I am not seeing any difference to note.

You don't buy the Tamron because of price, it was only about $40 less
than the FA when I got it.  Given a choice between the two again, I
would go for the Tamron again.

--
Best regards,
Bruce