First, what a wonderful Gallery this month! I have convinced myself that
everyone sent in their absolute best ever picture. If not, I'm selling my
camera and taking up bowling.

" From the Mont-Blanc summit " by  Yves Caudano
        It's a exciting shot, and I like it. However, I can't help wondering
what it would have been like about 30 minutes earlier. The sun seems to be
about 2 diameters (16 minutes) above the horizon in this shot, and I think
it's too late. It's so bright that the picture is necessarily dark. This has
resulted in a loss of contrast that I think hurts the image. I also can
imagine that this picture would be much more dramatic if the person wasn't
almost lost in the distance, but was right before the camera, with his back
to it, trudging away.

" Seaoat " by  M. Patrick Hunt
        I love this picture though I'm unable to say why, exactly. The
overall colour balance is very pleasing. The reversal of the expected norm
is what moves me: the oat stalk is huge, the sun tiny. It's perfectly
exposed. It's just a very satisfying image without being challenging or
difficult. There is something on the right edge that I would crop away, just
a few millimeters. A winner.

" Lighthouse, Peggy's Cove " by  Jodi Cleary
        It's very tough to take a picture of a famous sight; what can you do
that's different? This is a very good picture. However, for me, it's kind of
a postcard view. I'd like to see what it would look like from a little
further back-is there some interesting terrain around it? The open door is a
nice feature, as it creates the beginning of a story (where's the keeper?)
Please make another day trip to Peggy's Cove on a stormy day; this tranquil
scene could use some drama brewing in the background. Nevertheless, it's a
better picture than any I took at Peggy's Cove, years ago.

" Lotus " by  Ken Tam
        Wow! A perfect picture of a perfect flower! This is really one of
the best flower pictures I've seen. When you look carefully, you see the
expected dew not on, but in, the flower (petals at right). The DOF is
fantastic (that 300 mm lens) as is the detail. The pose of the flower is
absolutely wonderful. The background is nice and moody. The only thing I'd
experiment with changing would be to try to tone down the white patch at the
left, which pulls the eye away from the star attraction. I bet there's a way
in PhotoShop to make it greener, like the leaf it's on.

J. John Cohen, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Immunology, B-184
University of Colorado Medical School
Denver, CO 80262, USA