On 2 May 2001, at 21:05, Jan van Wijk wrote:

> OK, here are my commants for the may PUG, wich was again a remarkable
> collection of images ...

> Rob Studdert, " Acoustics "
>
> An unusual place for photography I guess!
> But a very nice image capturing the "mood" amongst this group.
> Must have been difficult shooting under those conditions.
> Given the few sources of light available, the scene is remarkably well lit with
> most persons in group recognizable.
> Maybe I would crop a little from the left of the image, there is really nothing
>there.
> I am not sure the more square format would be still pleasing though ...
> Nice shot!

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the honest critique. I like to present less than perfect images
particularly if I believe that there is a story to tell that would be forsaken in
the pursuit of absolute sharpeness or perfect composition. Sometimes the
environment or the dynamic nature of an event simply doesn't allow the
photographer to be pedantic about such things.

The composition of this image is not optimum I agree, I did make some far
more pleasing compositions in a vertical format however none of them had
the set of expressions on the faces of the choristers like this one. Granted I
could have cropped but I like to maintain the standard 35mm 2:3 aspect ratio
if possible and to maintain the 2:3 ratio would have meant that I would have
lost the flashlight reflections in the water (which I quite like).

Given the limited light available I was quite pleased with the outcome, many
of the images that I made during the walk (about 24) were not usable due to
excessive shake or very limited depth of field however there were a few
images that made it all worth while. I suppose my main purpose in displaying
images such as this on the PUG is to really encourage more conservative
photographers to "give it a go". In other words don't write off any potential
photographic opportunities because the situation looks too difficult, given the
correct selection of equipment and media and a little bit of knowledge (that's
what the PDML is for) it is often surprising what can be captured on film.

Some more shots from the same roll for those interested:

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~geroc/dissuedtunnel.jpg
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~geroc/floodedtunnel.jpg.jpg

Cheers,

Rob Studdert