Gerald,

You wrote:

> Well, let's take that situation as you suggest it should be: "Chris, your
> looking especially robust and I love that new skin look for your hair.
> You're obviously eating well these days from you healthy appearance, and
are
> more clean cut than usual."  Phhht!

I don't mean to speak for Bob here, but you're clearly responding with a
gross exaggeration that distorts his point.

> I would rather my friends tell it to me straight.  No sugar coating it for
> me.  If I want someone to always tell me nice things regardless of the
> facts, I'll hire her for a night.

I sincerely doubt your friends all tell it to you straight.  I know mine
don't.  Friends come somewhere in between.  They recognize your
imperfections, yet at the same time respect your dignity.  I (we) do the
same for them.

Tom