Hello Don,

As far as focusing, it didn't seem any slower - I mostly manually
focus everything anyway.  It's manual focus feel is very reasonable.

I never did drop the Tokina, but have dropped the Tamron onto concrete
once.  It survived pretty well - seems to have a very slight drag on
focusing, but has been going strong ever since.  Don't know how the
Tokina would have faired.

I do find the Tamron much more usable - closer focusing, easy to
handle and balance, just has a nicer intangible feel.  Also I think
the optical quality is better than the Tokina.  Every Tokina I have
had seems good, solid and unremarkable (currently have the 80-200/2.8
Pro).  Optics have been good but not great.

If you are looking purely for durability, then the Tokina might be
better.  If you are looking for other factors besides durability, the
Tamron made be a better choice.  I am happy with mine and use it all
the time.

--
Best regards,
Bruce