AFAIK, the SP17-35/2.8-4 is a much better lens than the 19-35 which is the older design. The other 2 latest SP lenses are quite good from what I have heard - 28-75/2.8 & 180/3.5 Macro. Looks like Tamron has finally get serious about their SP lenses.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

I went to B&H on Thursday and looked at the Tamron 19-35mm on a Canon 10D.
The shots I got from it were awful, way too soft on the edges to be of any
use to me. I also tried the Phoenix 19-35, which was actually better,
although it was also soft and not very contrasty. I am not entirely sold on
the idea of the Tamron 17-35, although I've seen some great test shots from
it. I'd almost rather get the K 18mm instead because I love the build of
those old lenses. It's too bad the Sigma 12-24 is such a dog.