From: William Robb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 9:43 AM
To: Pentax Discuss
Subject: Re: USAF target and resolution tests

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. C. O'Connell"

> What I was referring to about specialized films is that super low
> contrast films could have a greater DYNAMIC RANGE than digital for
> extremely contrasty scenes and super high contrast films could have
> a better amplitude
> resolution (bit depth) for extremely low contrast scenes than
> digital.

You'll need to come up with some facts before you have credibility on
this one. You are a self professed non user of high quality digital
imaging technology. What you are referring to may or may not exist.

OTOH, what does exist at the moment are digital sensors (the istD has
one of these) with an 11 stop range.
See
http://www.normankoren.com/digital_tonality.html
for an explanation.
Even the widest range colour film on the market today would be hard
pressed to come up with an 11 stop dynamic range, I believe 9 stops
is closer to the present state of the art.

Digital will, of course, get better as the technology evolves. Film is
dead in the water from a technological evolution standpoint.

William Robb