Hi Larry.
Welcome aboard. I snipped your post a tad.

Cannot speak for the Pentax version as i dont have one, yet,  but i do a lot of
equestrian
work with my
Nikon f2.8 and it works out very well.I;'d have to say atleast 97-98% usable,well
focused
shots from it.
If i am following a Dressage rider around the ring,i keep it on AF-C and shoot at will.

I think for soccer you should find a huge difference from the mf lenses.You allready
say
you have mf
f2.8 lenses so that should give you a good idea what you can get in low light.
I do have some problems in ~really~ low light, but nothing that bothers me.

Dave Brooks

                                . Since all of my