William Robb mused:

I'm sure there is.  You don't need the complex procedure outlined
above - I can often get a "low battery" indicator showing up with
a fairly new set of batteries.  All I have to do to remove this
is to half-press the shutter, and hey presto! we're back to a full
battery charge.

That's without any battery grip - just a single set of (Rayovac)
rechargeables.  I surmise that the combination of these batteries
with a Hitachi microdrive can drop the voltage level close to the
warning level, especially if autofocus gets used at the same time.