Paul,

My disagreement with the PUG comment process isn't based on the controversy
over Shel's critique.  Let me summarize again.

1)  PUG is an uncritiqued gallery and as such, draws all kinds of
contributions.  Some of these may not be our best, but simply topical
comments on what we are doing with photography or life...no problem since it
isn't a competitive gallery.  This encourages gallery participation
regardless of skill level...  A good think since this isn't an exclusive
professional photography club.

1a)  If you want a serious critique on your photos, there are plenty of other
galleries available.  Why not take your stuff there.  Do it on the net, do it
face to face at a local club.  You'll find plenty of folks to critique you.

2)  The PUG critiques are too much like a homework assignment.  The PUG is a
large collection of pictures.  I struggle every month to take a serious look
at the photos and make some comments on those I like, public or private
comments.  Right now, I have 40+ emails critiquing photos to read on this
month's PUG.  I don't want to read them until I view the pictures and form my
own opinions.  Why are we creating all this public traffic?  To make sure
that EACH contributor gets at least ONE critique?  Isn't there a better way
to do this privately, or as Boz suggested on another list?  (And who says
these critiques are any good?)

2a)  Do you really think all 90 pictures in the gallery need a public
critique?  I liked the old method better.  8 or 10 of the best or most
noteworthy pictures got called to our attention and a critique (albeit a weak
critique in public).  The remaining pictures may or may not have gotten
private feedback.  So what's wrong with this?  Can't we learn to give each
other feedback in private?

Regards,  Bob S.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I think it's ludicrous that we would consider dropping the PUG comment
 process because some people were unhappy with one comment. Let's try to
 maintain some perspective. Overall, it's been a great success. Let's continue
 Paul Stenquist >>