Don't think it's rude at all, just the way eBay works.
In a real auction the high bidder wins when a new bid
is not placed in a given amount of time.
eBay auctions have a set time limit, not BETWEEN
bid time limit.
I just look at eBay auctions as advertisements of a
product that WIL BE auctioned off in the last couple
minutes before the listing ends.
Only the very last part of an eBay auction works anything
like a regular live auction, the whole rest of it is just
an opportunity to get your product in front of an audience.
I don't even bother to check my for sale items until the last
1/2 hour or so. I've had items putt along at a couple dollars
and then go to 100+ in the last few seconds.
I LIKE snipers, they're aggressive and know what they want,
like "real" auction bidders. ;-)

Don