Actually your explanation did make sense.
Though I didn't grasp nearly all of it
it helped to learn that they are processed
in "blocks".
Helps me understand the behavior of both
highly compressed and "multiple generation"
jpeg files.
Don't feel your efforts were totally wasted,
I at least have a clue now.
Which I didn't before.
I knew HOW jpegs behaved, now I have at
least a rough idea WHY they behave that