On 15 Nov 2004 at 20:01, Jens Bladt wrote:

> Shel and Rob: I believe the Pentax SMC M 2.8 35mm is doing well, compared to
> the
> zoom lenses.

I appreciate your effort but your results don't actually surprise me, I hope
the M28/2.8 would be better than the zoom. I like like your test compilation
however if you also presented sections towards the edges of the frame I believe
that it would prove a lot more useful and revealing.

On your full frame image see the edge of the white fence to the left, there is
significant CA even though it was shot at f8. This is often the type of thing
that differentiates a good lens from a great one, a case in point being the
FA24/2. It is razor sharp dead centre but it performs far worse than most other
Pentax 24mm primes towards the edges at any aperture. A centre section wouldn't
reveal this significant performance issue.

To see just how badly CA can affect certain types of images check out the
hideous sample image on the following Sigma page shot using a Sigma 18-50mm
F3.5-5.6 DC at f9:

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/sd10/english/photographer/miyake.htm

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998