I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but the A 400/5.6 is a very fine lens, and it's usually priced quite reasonably at around $450. You can find one on ebay, and they show up occasionally on KEH. I find that I need at least a 400 for bird shots in most locations, even with the *istD.
Paul