Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the list!  Before you go out and spend gobs
and gobs of money on a 200mm or 400mm lens make sure
that the "venue" you want to use it on will allow you
to use it there!  I recently went to a Detroit Red
Wings hockey game and was telling my boss that I was
going to take a big telephoto lens to get some
"close-ups".  He tipped me off that the NHL prohibits
long lenses (apparently so does Major League
Baseball). I went taking my Pentax Spotmatic and a
55mm Takumar lens and they still didn't want to let me
in...saying nothing longer than 54mm!!! (They
relented....but check it out first!) I'm sure amateur
and minor league events don't have this
prohibition....I can only guess that they want you to
buy souvenir posters, rather than take your own
quality photos! Welcome again! Mike Steele