Thanks everyone for the constructive comments; I'm just waiting for the peeling to spread down the trunk a bit more so that I can shoot a bit more taking your advice. Comments below...

Bruce Dayton critiqued:
> peeled bark near the top and out into the green
> is soft and my eye is drawn to it.  That needs to be sharply in focus.
> The other is that the main trunk is quite flat in lighting.  Maybe a
> reflector to punch it up just a bit.

At first I shot this in setting sunlight but couldn't get the exposure right due to blown highlights/deep shadows. So this shot was taken in indirect light after the sun had set. Hence the DOF was pretty limited and the lighting pretty flat. Thanks for the advice.

Kenneth Waller suggested:
> IMHO you need to get closer and extract some of the detail shown &
> make it more abstract.

Yep, I see what you're saying; I'll give that a go.

Peter J. Alling wrote:
> Interesting, like the best photographs you'd see in a botany text book.
> Illustrating a species characteristics and yet being well enough
> composed to stand on their own.

Thanks (-:

frank theriault wrote:
Keeps timing out on me. I can't get to it. Just me?

Have you tried again? I've not heard anyone else complain. I can always email you the pic if you ask for it.

Cheerio,
David