On 20 Nov 2004 at 20:20, Graywolf wrote:

> Well if I had your money I would be runing a large 3 channel scsi raid-0 array
> with 15K rpm drives. You use toys and then complain that they are only toys.
>
> GRIN!
>
> Alternatively, you can load up with so much ram that you never have to swap.

LOL, I thought very hard about the money I spent last upgrade, the previous
system had done a good solid seven years service without a hitch. I retired my
servers SCSI RAID and replaced it with a 4 drive SATA one, each drive has an
8MB cache and the controller has 256MB :-)

I have enough RAM that my system doesn't swap so much however pure access speed
was the issue on my W/S, as it's also a pretty hard working audio edit tool I
needed to be able to quickly open and save files of 1-2GB size, mind you the MF
scanner files are pretty monstrous too.

I spent far less cash on this upgrade and got whole lot more performance and
better data security/integrity.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998