HI.

I have no experience of the pentax model, but initially when I was looking
for a Macro lens, the interesting this was that the tamron went 1:1 without
tubes. I then bought the manual Adaptall version (mostly to use on an LX).
After a slight attack of the stupids, involving a bag and a car, I had to
go out and buy another one, which turned out to be the AF Version. So I've
actually owned both of them.

Comments: Its a superb macro lens, being sharp and contrasty all the way.
I've liked both lenses quite a bit, and used them extensively for both
macro stuff and portraits (at which its also quite good).

Excellent Lens. As previously stated, I don't know how it rates against the
pentax one, but as memory serves, the best reproduction the pentax can
offer is 1:2, so this may be a deciding factor as well.

Hope this helps,

T.