Thanks for posting the test information and results.  I hope to do
something similar at some point, and your efforts and the feedback you've
received will help in setting up my test.

Your desire to use the same magnification for each image is understandable,
but perhaps it would have been a better test to use the same size prints
for the test.  Most people ask for a print of a certain size, not of a
certain magnification, and the results may have been truer to real world
issues.

Also, might it not have been worthwhile to use lenses that produce
approximately the same image size, such as the 20mm for the digi and, what,
35mm or so for the film camera?  I don't know the answer to that since the
introduction of different lenses could effect the test, but then again,
it's said that digital "sees" things differently through a given lens than
film does, so maybe it's a non issue.  What do the experts say?

To my eye the Provia image seems to have greater sharpness, or accutance,
but one has to look beyond the grain to see it.  It seems that the digital
results give a more pleasing result if one is just looking at the print,
rather than trying to find points of comparison and to see which is
"better."

You didn't mention the ISO used for the digital image.  The lowest ISO, I
assume?

Thanks for doing this, Gianfranco.  While this may not be the ultimate
scientific test, and I'm sure there will be some detractors on that point
and others, it's nonetheless very worthwhile and was certainly worth your
time.  I, for one, appreciate the effort, and since you defined the
parameters pretty well, I've no complaints.  My comments above were
questions, not complaints.

Shel