> This brings up the question, did pentax ever relabel any of the
> "K" lenses as "M" with exact same optical and mechanical design?

I think that the K 100/4 Macro was "morphed" into the M 100/4 Macro
and the M 100/4 Dental Macro without any significant changes.

Similarly, I think that the K 400/5.6 was "morphed" into the M
400/5.6 (although I think an auto diaphragm was added, perhaps?).

> Then the second question would be were any of the "M" lenses same
> OPTICALLY as the "K" but just repackaged into smaller barrels?

I would say that the K 50/1.4 was "downsized" into the M 50/1.4,
without any "major" optical changes (although there may have been a
wee bit of "tweaking" done...).

I believe that the K 50/4 Macro was basically just "downsized" into
the M 50/4.

Fred