Peter,
I see you're getting all the info you will need to
make a cursory initial decision re filter usage. I
took your question to, also, include that of an
opinion as to Tiffen brand filters. I've used a bunch
of their filters (multi coated..etc.) and have
developed no aversion to their use. At this point in
my photo pursuit I find myself paying a bit more for
filters partially due to the fact that they are going
on more expensive lenses. Don't have a clue if I need
to.
My only lens that is not filtered is a 100 f/2.8
macro. Deep set front lens and extra fine detail
sought.
I'll add one other point in the event it hasn't been
mentioned, and that is the chance of additional flare
due to reflection 'bounce back' between the filter
surface and the objective lens. When shooting, even
obliquely, toward a light source, I remove the filter.
Hope you can use.

Jack