Shel,

I've used the pre-focus tricks to reduce the shutter lag on the Sony
S85.  I've even used it for gymnastic meets and girls vaulting.  You
can make it work, but it's still a pain to do.

I had a Sony S75 but passed it onto my son Bill.  About the only thing
different with the S85 is it is black and 4 megapixels vs 3.  The lens
is the same between them, the software is the same, and the display is
identical.  Only the sensor is different.  Strangely, I get less
consistent exposures with the S85 than I did with the S75.  Overall,
it makes very nice pictures.

Regards,  Bob S.