I frequently print portraits as 11x17 or 8x12. That way you can compose in the viewfinder.
Paul
On Dec 4, 2004, at 1:44 AM, D. Glenn Arthur Jr. wrote:

Sorry I've been so quie^H^H^H^Habsent lately.  I've not
been feeling well enough to keep all the usual balls in
the air, and PDML is one that got dropped for a while.
(Once or twice a day I eyeball the subject lines quickly...)

Last night a flash jumped off the top of my Program
Plus.  It took the flash shoe with it.  This is not
a danger I knew to expect -- a body shedding its
shoe and dumping the flash on the ground.  I'm not
get certain how easy it'll be to reattach the shoe.
(I'll probably return to being a lot more upset about
this when I stop being so acutely shocked about the
non-photo-related bad news I got tonight.)

I got to thinking about this process and the problem
with it:

        1) Get asked to shoot a portrait.
        2) Pick a location.
        3) Compose in the viewfinder and shoot.
           full of shots composed for the 24x36
           frame.
        5) Have subject choose frames to print.
        6) Mention to subject that both 5x7 and
           8x10 will involve cropping from the
           2:3 aspect ratio she's been looking
           at.
        7) Realize that when I was looking at
           the viewfinder a week or two earlier
           I should have been composing for
           5x7 and 8x10 instead of 4x6/8x12/etc.

I dunno, the idea of shooting 5x7 or 8x10 in the first
place sounds more and more tempting.  But short of a
complete format change, I'm going to have to come up
with some tricks to help me remember to plan for
cropping when I shoot portraits.

                                        -- Glenn