On 8 Dec 2004 at 12:24, Mark Erickson wrote:

> Anyway, I hope this provides a different perspective and maybe some food for
> thought.  If anyone is interested, I'll try to make a couple of my "digital
> lith" images available on the web tonight.

Very interesting, reminds me a little of the guy who was making exhibition
quality toned platinum/palladium prints by contact printing specially crafted
digital files out of a Linotronic images setter.

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Technical_papers/digital%20info/dave_fokos/fokos.pdf

> P.S. Regarding Rob's excellent image, I like it very much as it is.  The
> smooth tones and crispness give it more of a grainless "large-format" feel to
> me.  Adding grain would give it a different look that may or may not work--I'd
> have to see it, I guess.

Ah thanks, it's a strange thing this grain issue, it's certainly a treatment
but I don't feel that it's a tool in the same sense as destauration or
saturating an image is. Grain or lack thereof is generally a consequence of the
process whereas printing a colour image to greyscale can completely alter the
focus and meaning of the image. For instance the colour version of my image
(which you commented upon) is dominiated by a red hat and competeing skin tones
in the mid and foreground.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998