From: Shel Belinkoff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 11:04 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: "Fake" vs "Real" effects

Hi Rob,

Quite honestly, while many photogs used grain creatively, I suspect most
didn't, and looked upon it as did you, something that had to be dealt
with. Perhaps most photogs learned one or two films and a developer or
two, and that was the extent of their repertoire, after all, the almost
universal admonishment was to learn one film and one developer well.
Other photogs, however, went further, just as today most digi photogs
probably won't go beyond minor tweaks and adjustments both in camera and
in the "darkroom."
There are, of course, those like yourself, who are doing some very
creative things with PS and with the camera and technology - stitching,
blending images, playing with "noise," and the like.

Coincidentally, I read an article yesterday by Tom Abrahamsson who had
been testing the new Epson R-D1 camera.  He made an interesting comment,
which I just happen to have handy.  He said, "...Film can be pushed and
in the case of something like the RD-1, just rack up the ISO setting to
1600 and your 21/4 becomes a 21/2. Yes, it will have "grain" (aka
digital noise!) but if you shoot Neopan 1600 you also get grain. Big
deal!"

He touched on something I'd been thinking about and that you and others
have been dealing with: you guys are working with grain of sorts, and by
using programs like Neat Image, choosing the camera ISO, and such, are
using grain as a creative or interpretive approach.  Mostly it seems
that you're trying to get rid of grain, but you determine how much and
where in the image you'll be making the adjustments. So, while you may
not have thought adding grain, perhaps you've been thinking about grain
in a somewhat different context.  Removing it or softening it, which is
just the other side of the coin as far as I'm concerned.  And that's
just what conventional B&W photogs often try to do with film and
developer choices - utilize the grain most appropriately.

Shel

type of
> > grain can be a substantial creative tool.  The problem today is that
there
> > aren't that many films to choose from with which you can easily make
such gross
> > manipulations of a photographs feel and intent, although it is
> > certainly possible, and many, if not most, contemporary
> > photographers aren't
familiar with
> > the possibilities or skilled in their use.  Too many photogs are
> > taking
the
> > homogenous method of using chromogenic film for their B&W work
> > instead
of
> > learning real B&W techniques, thereby losing substantial
> > interpretive
and
> > creative possibilities, where Juan wanted to add grain to his pics
make them
> > look more like Tri-X.
>
> I think I know where you are coming from but grain to me was something
that we
> had to deal with not my choice. I was a big user of D3200 and T-Max at
high
> ISOs prior to my *ist D purchase. I used to scan most images but I did
hand
> print 35mm up to 12x18". I dealt with the grain, I had to, now I have
much more
> choice and can even use colour where it was near impossible before.
>
> > Of course, if grain were not such an interesting creative tool,
> > numerous digital photographer might not give much thought to adding
> > grain to
their
> > images ... which brings us back full circle to the start of this
> > thread.
>
> Granted, I will say though that in a year of shooting with my *ist D
> the
only
> time the concept of adding grain had occupied my brain space was
> during
this
> recent discussion. I see it as sort of parallel to the audiophiles
> that
add
> tube stages (thermionic valves add (some say pleasant) third harmonic
> distortions to the audio signal). Makes new gear sound like the old
stuff
they
> were used to, not something I'd be likely to do however "nice" it
> sounds
:-)