That should be their cost of course.

Peter J. Alling wrote:

Their const would be significantly lower per unit. Not necessarily your cost...

William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "mike wilson" Subject: Re: Photoshop CS Bargain Basement

Not sure I agree with you (I don't think the photographer analogy stands up at all) and I still don't understand why music CDs are so much cheaper, given the development costs are similar. If pirating was causing high prices, recorded music prices should be astronomical. What is keeping the price high is that people are willing to pay it.

I don't understand why you are trying to make a connection between music CDs and software. Other than that they are both on little plastic discs, they don't really have much in common.
I helped "develop" a music CD a couple of years ago.
It was a buddy of mine recording a buddy of his' music.
The development cost was a couple of cases of beer, plus materials.
We did pretty good too.

Anyway, if my friend the Photoshop instructo is correct in his assertion that Adobe has sold about 1 in every 10 copies that are in use, (an I see no reason to doubt him), I don't see how you can argue that pirating isn't causing a problem. If they could sell half of what is in use, the price would most likely be significantly lower per unit.

William Robb

--
I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war. During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings and shoot foreigners - two things that are usually frowned on during peacetime.
--P.J. O'Rourke