there *are* effects of scale. a similar tool (to PS) would cost tens or hundreds
of kilo$ if adobe had a hundred customers in the world. that's what our product
used to sell at my previous job.
i think the price is probably reasonable, however, the business model
is flawed.
enforcing and bitching about "intellectual property" is kinda
pointless, considering
that easily over 80% of the world population doesn't know it exists.
it's quite far
from being a "universally accepted" concept, like, e.g. physical property.

best,
mishka