So, Shel, you're in the other 5%... ;-)
Martin
-----Original Message-----
From: Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: Nasty Kodak rumor, or the sloppy truth: the dumbing down of NorthAmerica??

Hi Issac ...

Boy, do i disagree with you.

> To me, Kodak's decision makes perfect sense. Keep in mind that 95% of
> people don't know about film speed, and don't care.

Where/how did you arrive at that figure?  Was a survey made of
this?  Had you said many, most, a great percentage, or something
similar, I'd not quibble. But with a specific figure which shows an
overwhelming majority don't know AND don't care, I'd have to take
issue and ask more more details.

> Think about it, do you know every detail of every activity you engage in?

Not every detail, but enough information about every activity so
that I'm knowledgeable about the important things, the significant
things.

> An IT person might think you're nuts for not
> knowing what brand hard drive you have,

I know that for both my computers.

> a car enthusiast would think you're stupid for
> not knowing what brand and type of oil Jiffy Lube put into your car,

While I don't use Jiffy Lube, I know exactly what brand, weight, and
type of oil goes into my cars.

> an editor might think you're uneducated for not appreciating
> the typeface in the book you're reading, etc...

While I do appreciate the typeface in the books I read, along with
the differences in paper and binding, those issues don't make a
difference in terms of what I may glean from a book, just the
appreciation of reading it from an artistic and tactile POV.

In fact, none of the examples you cite matter much, if at all, in
terms of the user being able to properly use and enjoy his
equipment.

> Every day I would have to explain to people what
> speed they need, now I don't. I think that the
> packaging is a good idea for this market segment.

Yes, if the market segment is the one that caters to the lowest
common denominator and, perhaps, to sales people who are too lazy or
ignorant to properly explain film speed to their customers.  This is
EXACTLY what dumbing down is all about.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]