I used to work in a family owned (not mine unfortunately) now-defunct camera
store in Providence, RI (United Camera - ever hear of it?).

A guy comes in to the store.  He has a 700- or 800-series Polaroid camera.
He is complaining of a problem with the pictures.  There were big giant
shadows over most of the image.  Also complained that the flash didn't work.

He handed me the camera and there was a major rattle.  Tried the flash.
Nope, doesn't work.  Took a picture.  Yep.  Big shadows in front of image.
More loud rattles.

Opened the film compartment, removed the film pack, and found the new
batteries he installed to fix the flash problem - D-cells laid loosely in
the space between the lens and film pack... Hmmm... That might account for
the shadows...

Installed some nice little AA-cells in the proper location, re-inserted the
film pack (still had pictures remaining) and the customer was truly amazed
at how skilled we were at "fixing broken cameras".  Then he had trouble
understanding why the first picture he took after we replaced the batteries
didn't come out...

Paul M. Provencher
(ppro)