Norman Baugher wrote:

> I don't think Isaac, that it's necessarily the "dumbing down" of photographers
> that everyone is bemoaning, it's more the dumbing down of people in general.

I'm not convinced.

Photography (like using a computer) used to be a skilled profession.
Nowadays both are accessible to a far wider audience.  That doesn't
necessarily mean that people, as a whole, are getting dumber - just
that photography (and computers) are now available to a far larger
number of people.  The mean technical knowledge of the average user
may be lower, but that doesn't mean people are getting dumber; it
just means that the samples are being drawn from a larger population.

There may well be as many skilled, knowledgable photographers and/or
computer users as there were two decades ago - they are just harder
to find in the haystack of  those who simply use the technology as a
convenience, not as a way of life.

--
John Francis  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
(650)933-8295                        2011 N. Shoreline Blvd. MS 43U-991