i use Grain Surgery and Neat Image Pro (because it's a Photoshop plugin and non-pro isn't) and of the two, i think Grain Surgery does a better job, but it's enough harder to use that i always try Neat Image first. i reserve Grain Surgery for matching grain or simulating a specific film. about the only time i used them though was to reduce the grain on Provia 400F. as much as i disliked the grain on my scans of Provia 100F and Velvia, i never found the reduction enough while retaining the detail i saw with my 4000dpi scans. i think that if i scanned at a lower resolution, both programs would have worked better.

Herb...
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Studdert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: Grain desolving programs

Grain Surgery seems highly regarded, it can remove, synthesize and match grain
patterns but I can't comment with any authority as I've not used it. I have
however used both NeatImage and NoiseNija, both are very effective, they rely
upon noise profiles which allows them to perform noise/grain reduction in
profiled media quite accurately.