On 19 Dec 2004 at 20:06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Really? My digital minilab does decent work, but they get $10 for an 11x14. I
> can print a far superior 11x 17 for about $4 on my Epson 2200. And I get to
> keep
> the full frame without going up another print size. Paul

I must have hit the minilab jackpot, the lab I'm working with now provides
12x18" prints out of a well calibrated Agfa d-lab 2 for AU$5.00 (or about
US$3.80) a print. They will print with a border or border-less with bleed (I
add a 2% border and get nearly edge to edge without any crop).

These days an personal ink based printer may reduce turn-around time but it
would definitely cost me more money. The pigment ink prints from 2100 or 7600
have a wider gamut than prints from a D Lab or Frontier. However it's not that
pronounced if the image is well prepared as the differences are primarily in
saturation not the range of hues they can reproduce.

If you want to compare ICC device profiles visually you can use the following
on-line tool, you can even up-load your own custom profiles for comparison.

http://www.iccview.de/index_eng.htm

Anyone with a VRML capable browser (I use the Cortona VRML Client) can check
out the following comparison I produced between the D-Lab and Epson 2100, the
wire-frame represents the Epson:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~distudio/temp/Gen_Sensatis_dlab_V1_vs_Epson2100_Pre
mium_Sem igloss_PK.wrl

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998