[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
From: Luigi de Guzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 18:15, mike wilson wrote:

.  As with most imperial
measurements and their applications it was designed by engineers based
on practical experience, not the mutterings of a committee based on the
wavelength of a particular colour of light.

mike

so that would include the inch, which was fixed at three barleycorns' lengths, or the yard, fixed at the distance between Henry II's nose to his right thumb?

I did say most.  The others were created by other professions for equally
practical reasons.  Both systems have their benefits, although I would take
suitability of use over ease of use as an ulimate decider.

mike