Here's a link to a Bangladeshian online news forum:
http://nation.ittefaq.com/artman/publish/article_14909.shtml
It's an editorial, but I get the impression that there haven't been many deaths
from the tsunami there. In the last paragraph, the editor shows that he doesn't
have a clue about the science behind earthquakes, but I suppose he can be right
about the casualties anyway...

Also, if you look at this map from CIA, it seems that the coastline itself is
sparsely populated, except from the area around Chittagong:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/bangladesh_rel96.jpg

The whole country is essentially a river delta. If there are mangrove forests,
they would dampen a tsunami quite effectively.

Jostein