----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stenquist"
Subject: Re: PESO" New Year's Day Walkaround

It's probably chromatic aberration. It's most evident in this kind of shot, where the background is extremely bright. I corrected it somewhat in the RAW conversion, but couldn't eliminate it completely. I think even my A 400/5.6 would show some CA with this kind of background and minimal depth of field.

I get the same effect with my Tokina SD 400mm/5.6, and with my Tamron 300mm/5.6.
These two lenses have proven over time to be excellent performers on film cameras, but have proven to be less than stellar on the digital.
One of the concepts I rather like about the small format sensor is the longer reach of telephoto lenses, so to have my telephotos relegated to the digital scrap heap is dissapointing.
Interestingly, my Tokina 80-200/2.8 is extremely good on the istD.

William Robb