Well, I'm not a bad photographer or so I am told.  I may be a novice
at film, but I'm pretty good with my Fuji...LOL

My Dad has a buddy who was a well-regarded pro for years, both in the
Navy and out, and who even now that he's retired still spends most of
his time behind a camera.  He lives about 3000 miles away or I'd be
following him around picking his brains....He has seen some of my
stuff and encouraged me to pursue it seriously.  He thinks I have an
artist's eye apparently.

I guess. I actually went to school to do illustration and graphics,
but alas, that car accident I was in pretty much killed what ability I
had to draw.  I  just can't use my r hand that way at all now.

I got my first digital when I was first recovering, and that's pretty
much all I did until I could walk properly again. Take pictures....I
had to do something. Not being able to draw was driving me nuts!  I
was surprised actually by some of the stuff I was getting, but I
didn't think I was any better than the average amateur until Joe took
a curious look, went "Oh!" and then promptly went out and bought me a
much better camera.

They guy spent some serious money  so I have to think it must have
been worth it in his eyes somehow. He's not wealthy enough to just
indulge someone out of pity that's for sure...

Anyhow, about a year ago I donated that one then replaced that camera
with the Fuji s7000. I figured it was about as close to a pro set up
as I was going to get. I really had to save my pennies to get it, but
I feel it was worth it and then some. I'm slowly teaching myself the
basics of both digital and traditional photography, getting the hang
of f-stops and iso settings, film types, media types, types of lenses,
etc.

So far it's been a real joy.  I've never felt more at home than I do
behind a camera. Since I already have a lot of the digital imaging
skills, it's made it easier for me on the non-traditonal end, but the
other end, that I feel I have to get into some formal training on...I
guess I just want to do it right...I can teach myself a lot. I have
that capacity, but I know there are things I am still likely not to
learn elsewhere so...

I just have this feeling sometimes that I'm being given all the tools
I need to do something. I've been in a couple of situations now where
I came thisclose to losing it, and I am also dealing with some chronic
illnesses that make it a living hell, and yet, I'm still here. I keep
wondering why, because for the most part my life doesn't seem to have
any real purpose.

I guess I tend not to take anything for granted and when everytime I
turn around someone is giving me a camera, or another piece of
equipment that I need, it seems a little too coincidental.

I think the angels are helping me out, you know?

I mean just last week I was asking Joe via email what lenses he
thought I'd need to have a good starter set, and he told me, and now I
pretty much have them and I spent $20? I checked Ebay and if I had
tried to go and get cameras and lenses like these, I'd have spent $600
at least, even now with all the digital mania...

I don't know., but whatever is happening? I am going with it, For once
in my life I am genuinely enjoying what I am doing.