About two weeks earlier than expected, my new film scanner (Minolta Multi Pro) arrived today.

The only real complaints I have so far are related to the software installation process. And downloading the latest driver is just stupid. You have to download 7 different files which are then pieced together afterwards to create a single installer file. The download site said they did this to keep the file sizes small (about 2Mb each) but I'd rather just let one big file download while I do other things, instead of having to babysit the whole process.

Then I forgot to copy the new version's Photoshop plug-in across, which caused numerous unexplained errors and Photoshop crashings. I'd only realised my mistake after uninstalling everything so I could start again :) On top of that there are all the issues regarding multi-user systems and administrator rights, etc... you'd think that manufacturers would have this stuff all figured out by now.

So far I've only scanned some 35mm slides and I haven't had much of a chance to seriously get into the options and settings. To be honest I doubt I'll be using many of the features of the driver. From my initial playing it looks like it'd be better to make any adjustments in Photoshop. I'm itching to scan a 6x7 slide at full res, although my poor computer has enough trouble at 200Mb filesize without going up to 500Mb+.

Oh and one more whinge: the supplied FireWire cable is too short. But at least they supplied one (unlike Epson).

Right, time to find some nice 6x7 slides.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/