This problem has been brought up before.
I finally saw it on my D about 2 weeks ago.
Started getting banding at high ISO's, it got
worse and worse and finally started giving
totally blank frames on ocassion.
Just about ready to declare the camera dead
until it indicated low battery.
Put in fresh Lithiums and Presto!, all the
problems went away.
These D's seem to get real squirrely when the
batteries are nearing death!
The old cells were down to 1.42 volts, apparently
that's the magic number for 'squirrely-ness' on
my particular D! ;-)

Don