Seeing as how I've owned and still own a number of "That Brand's" cameras ;)
I can say that the A series is solid.
If memory serves me correctly  the A series just enough of a little manual
control to grow into while still offering the usual "consumer" modes that
make it easy to use.

I wanted something more pocketable so I went with their SD200 for a P&S..
not exactly fabulous but it's so small that it does what I want it to do..
be with me at all times and ready at a moments notice.

Cheers
Dave