On 2005-01-11, at 00:47, John Coyle wrote:

My experience with the AF of the MZ-S and the *istD tells me that the MZ-S is far better than the digital, with any of the lens I have used on both cameras. I find the MZ-S very quick and accurate, and able to AF in very dim conditions and low contrast. On the other hand, using the *istD at a wedding on Saturday, I got only two focussed shots in a 6-7 second opportunity (when the couple were walking back down the aisle after the ceremony) using AF-C and the SMC-Takumar 28-105 4-5.6: sensitivity 400ASA and exposures were in the 1/60 @ 4.5 to1/90 @ 5.6 region. I have to confess that this is my first real disappointment with the *istD: perhaps, however, it was due to battery state, as I did get the half-full to empty warning several times during about an hour's use - turning it off and back on again gave me a full indicator every time though! Alternatively, the state of the batteries together with the fact that this is a solid and heavy lens may have contributed.
This is exactly the same experience as mine. And that was a reason why I had to sell *istD - disappointment during weddings at low light. For film use I still have MZ-S, which has very good (enough for action shots during wedding) low-light AF.

--
Best regards
Sylwek