Abseiling is one small part of climbing, usually used as a means
of descent
after the climb is over. Its popularity as an adventure program
activity
stems from the high perceived risk (stepping over the edge)
coupled with
low real risks (provided belays and other safety procedures are
fully in
effect).

>From my point of view, the main differences between rappeling
and abseiling
is that rappelling kind of requires a wall, or cliff, of some
sort that will
give your feet and legs some sort of landing zone to allow you
to push off
from and land on in your descent.

Abseiling has heavier dependence on equipment and will allow you
to descend
safely even when there is no wall or cliff for you to land on.

Take a look at these URLs.

 http://msowww.anu.edu.au/~kim/photos/abseil/

 http://www.calpoly.edu/~epeabody/CLIMBanchor.html

Len