Hi,

'abseil' is the word used in British English, even by gritty,
unpretentious mountaineering types. We also recognise 'rappel',
which is also from French so probably no more and no less pretentious.
On the one occasion when I foolishly volunteered for this activity I
abseiled down the side of a very tall building; this meant that I had
to 'walk' down it. If there had been any hostages to rescue I'm sure
I'd have been allowed to bounce like the SAS, but we had strict
instructions from the organisers not to do that. Besides, there were
no windows to swing through, and I'd have looked pretty foolish trying
to swing through a brick wall.

---

 Bob

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Art is a form of play, not to be taken seriously" - Plato