To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 1:15 PM
Subject: SMC D FA 100mm Macro f2.8 (er, and hello)

Hi Pentax-folk,

I'm new to the list (so hello ...) and will bore you to death with what
pentax gear I own/use/have owned/love/hate/dropped another time.

Meanwhile, has anybody got any information about the new SMC-D FA 100mm
macro lens? I know all about the SMC-A and SMC-FA 100mm 2.8 (which are
wonderful) but I like the look of the new one, especially that it's tiny
compared with the FA. It also looks like Pentax are going to price it
competitively, as I've seen it offered for $564 US already.

What I'd like to know - is it optically as good as the A and FA 100mm f2.8
macros? Has anybody seen/tried one? Heard reports? It *seems* to have the
same optical formula and focus system, but to have been 'optimised for
digital'.

I checked the archive, but expect there was a thread on this last year. If
so, sorry ..

David Wheatley
Southampton UK