OK, that's what I started to conclude must be the answer.   Thank you.

Tom C.

From: "Bob Blakely" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Astrophotography (was Re: *istD EOL...)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:29:13 -0800

Ok, the analogy using "light levers" didn't work. Let's try again...

Nothing is working opposite to expectations. One lens, the objective lens, is working in one direction with light coming in from the distant object at the *distant* focal point to the image on the other side of the lens at its *close* focal point. The other lens is being used the other way around with the light from the image going from the *close* focal point to the more distant focal point and eventually to your eye.

Regards,
Bob...

From: "Tom C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

OK, I understand the math and don't disagree, but why does a longer focal length eyepiece (a set of glass lenses in a tube) give lower magification, when a longer focal length camera lens (a set of glass lenses in a tube) yields a higher magnification?

It would seem at first blush that if you have a telescope with a given focal length producing x magnification and you then viewed that image through 2 eyepieces of different focal lengths, that the eyepiece with the longer focal length would yield the higher magnification. What makes it work opposite of what one (I) would expect?

I know this is a basic optics question that I'm just not too embarrassed to ask.