On Friday 14 January 2005 10:21, Shel Belinkoff wrote:
> Hi ...
>
> While it's a nicely framed shot and well executed, the subject is soooo
> overdone.  I suppose every photographer should have such a pic in his or
> her portfolio, if only to suggest something of a sense of humor.
>
> This shot brings nothing new to the
> SUV-in-a-compact-only-parking-space-snapshot, so while you get an A for
> technical competence you get a D for originality.  I have to ask: how many
> shots did you take of this scene?  I ask because I can envision a more
> interesting photo were it made from a different angle - lower to the
> ground, perhaps emphasizing the size of the SUV more, perhaps a different
> focal length ... anything to make the scene more interesting.
>
> Shel

I was wondering when someone would mention this.  I took four four shots, in
total, of the situation.  Two were boring, "look how illegally these dopes
are parked" pictures, which I thought I might save and forward to the town
authorities someday.  One, you see here.  The other was this:

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Brunellus/Stuff/Compact2.jpg>

This wasn't as good, in my opinion.  Actually, to give my whole technical
assessment of that shot--it *sucked*.

As far as focal length:  This is one of those situations where I really wished
I had a 14mm lens, or even the Sigma 12-24mm zoom at the 12mm end.  I was
already at the wide end of the widest lens I currently have (the 18-55 that
came with the DS), and I wished I could go wider, precisely to use the
perspective distortion to emphasize the size of the SUV while simultaneously
getting the sign in the picture.  Maybe a rectangular fisheye?  h'mmmm.

I should mention that I have always been interested in signs and graffiti,
especially where cheap visual irony can be extracted from them:

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Brunellus/Stuff/Brick.jpg>
("Bricks and Mortar," Fairfax, VA, Oct 2004.  A bunch of new houses were being
constructed, in the modern, flimsy, "matchstick" method, around the corner
from our house)

<http://members.cox.net/luigi12081/London/Flats%20Available.jpg>
("Flats Available," London, Oct 2002.  Schumpeterian "creative destruction" at
work on the South Bank of the Thames)

<http://members.cox.net/luigi12081/London/General%20London/I%20know%20I%20have%20lost.jpg>
("I know I have lost," London, June 2003.  Graffiti near Bankside.)

<http://members.cox.net/luigi12081/Images/everything%20must%20go.jpg>
("Everything must go," Fairfax, VA, Sept 2004.  This is the only non-pentax
image in the bunch:  the others were taken with my MX.  This was taken with a
battered Rolleiflex MX-A, with an uncoated Jena Tessar 75/3.5.)

whoa.  I didn't expect this to turn into a "signs" retrospective.... *grin*

=-Luigi

www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
photos, rants, raves